I don't know about you, but I feel like my body is already 50% eggnog at this point, and it's only December 5th! The holidays are filled with some of our favorite foods and drinks, so the last thing we want to do is diet during this season.
However, there are some easy, pain-free ways to stay healthy during the holidays. Here are some anti-diet wellness trends that certified health coach Carey Peters recommends to help you feel energized and restriction-free for the holidays.
- Embrace healthy fats - Not all fats are created equally, so stick to non-hydrogenated ones like grass-fed butter and coconut oil and skip the trans fats. You can always make a dish with healthy fats to bring to a dinner or party to share so you have a smart choice to eat.
- Ditch dieting - Diets are tough any time of the year, but they’re especially restricting during the holidays. So forget the diet and try a small taste of the foods that look exciting at the holiday dinner or cocktail party and be mindful while you eat it.
- Crave the outdoors - Get outside and take a brisk walk after a big meal to stimulate digestion or quickly zip around the block when you’re trying to fend off a craving for an unhealthy treat.
- Try bulletproof coffee - Add a spoonful of grass-fed butter to your cup of coffee and the healthy fats will slow the release of caffeine so you get a “steadier stream of energy” instead of a jittery high or the terrible crash later on.
- Mind your protein - It’s all about balancing healthy carbs, fats, and protein so you have energy and feel full, that way you can tackle your holiday to-do list and feel good while you’re doing it.