- Any Halloween custom that would be considered cultural appropriation could be offensive
- Bustle has come out with a list of costumes you should never wear for these reasons
- A Ninja, an Egyptian Queen, a Voodoo Witch Doctor and more made the list
As we previously told you, folks were up in arms after Yandy.com started selling sexy “Handmaid’s Tale” costumes, so much so that the company has since yanked the costume of their site. But let’s face it, it’s easy for Halloween costumes to offend folks, which is making Halloween a little less fun these days.
One big no-no is any costume that would be considered cultural appropriation, with Bustle noting that it’s not okay because “it reduces a culture to, well, a literal costume.”
So, how can you prevent yourself from offending someone when you head out to your Halloween party this year? Well, the site has come out with a list of ten costumes they deem inappropriate due to cultural appropriation, and they say they should NEVER be worn.
- A Ninja
- An Egyptian Queen
- A Voodoo Witch Doctor
- A Native American Princess
- Anything that has to do with the Day of the Dead
- A Geisha
- A “Senorita”
- A Bollywood Star
- A Gypsy