While piles of diapers, wipes, and onesies are helpful baby shower gifts, there are some things a new mom needs even more once her bundle of joy arrives. All baby shower gifts are appreciated, but here are some things you won’t see on a registry that could really help out a new mom.
- Homemade meals - Someone could sign on to bring home-cooked meals once a week for a month, or a group could go in together and deliver dinners a couple times a week. Any food a new mom doesn’t have to make, she’ll be thankful for.
- Prepaid meal delivery service - Save new parents from having to do a grocery run in that crazy first week home by springing for a week’s worth of meal delivery kits, like Blue Apron or Plated.
- A complimentary date night - This one is so easy, just stick money in a card with an offer to babysit one night - or include the name and number of a trusted sitter - and you’re done.
- College savings fund contribution - Establish a 529 savings fund for your little one and asked loved ones to make a deposit.
- Professional cleaning services - Take pressure off a new mom by hiring a housekeeper to come in a few times during the first three months after baby is born.
- New mom wardrobe essentials - Like a super comfy robe, forgiving yoga pants, a nursing bra and top, cozy socks or slippers, or a zip-up hoodie for when the new mom ventures out of the house.
- A subscription to Amazon Prime or Netflix - Anyone would love free shipping at Amazon or access to favorite shows for those late-night feedings.
- Body care package - Self-care supplies like dry shampoo, lip balm, hair ties, thick moisturizer for cracked, achy feet, and lots of chocolate would be a big hit with a new mama.
- Busy activities for the older kids - It’s can be a challenge for moms to give attention to older kids when new baby arrives, so quiet activities like coloring books, easy puzzles, and picture books for big brothers or sisters can help. They can entertain themselves while mom nurses or rests and feel extra special from getting a gift of their own.