appy first day of summer and the longest day of the year!
The summer solstice begins today (Thursday) at 6:07 a.m. ET, so why not celebrate with some of the best country summer songs.
- "Summertime" - Kenny Chesney
- "All Summer Long" - Kid Rock
- "Pontoon" - Little Big Town
- "Summer Fever" - Little Big Town
- "Beat This Summer" - Brad Paisley
- "Water" - Brad Paisley
- "Six Pack Summer" - Phil Vassar
- "Long Hot Summer" - Keith Urban
- "Summertime Blues" - Alan Jackson
- "Summer's Coming" - Clint Black
- "Toes" - Zac Brown Band
- "Beachin'" - Jake Owen
Summer Solstice traditions from the Old Farmer's Almanac
- Tourists travel to Stonehenge in England to experience the solstice.
- In Sweden, the first day of summer is marked by eating the first strawberries of the season.
- In ancient Egypt the new year began on the summer solstice. It coincided with the annual flooding of the Nile.
- Many cultures light bonfires to mark the arrival of the season.
- Summer's name comes from the Old English word sumor.
- Solstice comes from the Latin words sol, meaning sun and sistere, which means come to a stop.
- The “dog days of summer” take place from July 3rd through August 11th. Those weeks are named for the Dog Star, which the ancient Greeks blamed for the hot temperatures.
- The Eiffel Tower grows six inches in the summer.
- The summer is when Hollywood releases blockbuster movies.
- July is the hottest month in the Northern Hemisphere.
- While we in the Northern Hemisphere are enjoying summer, the Southern Hemisphere is settling in for winter.