The Bachelor season finale came to a fitting conclusion: Arie Luyendyk Jr. proposed to Lauren Burnham with a 3.5 carat diamond ring. Then host Chris Harrison wished for Arie that this engagement lasted longer than his previous one.
His jilted fiancée, Becca Kufrin, earned a second chance at love. The studio audience roared with approval as Becca was announced as the next Bachelorette. The crowd was clearly Team Becca and disapproved of the way Arie mistreated her.
Chris Harrison explored the timeline from Arie proposing to Becca in Peru to Lauren accepting him back with open arms and heart. He’d been engaged for only five weeks when Arie DM’d Lauren’s Instagram account on New Year’s Eve. By the first weekend in February, they’d hooked up.
In between, Lauren assured Arie that she wanted him back. It meant he could dump Becca with confidence that a rebound romance awaited. Arie put on an act for the cameras outside Lauren’s home. He didn’t have butterflies. He knew perfectly well Lauren would welcome him back. (Gossip Cop)
There are conflicting reports about how cameras joined Arie for the breakup with Becca. ABC denied forcing it, but former Bachelor Jason Mesnick admitted he refused producer's demands to record him ending an engagement.
Significant Details From the Finale:
- The Bachelor host Chris Harrison called Arie proposing to Becca a “boneheaded mistake.”
- Becca went house-hunting with Arie in December, which was only weeks after the engagement. She was moving forward with her future at the same time Arie had second thoughts.
- Five Bachelor contestants told Chris Harrison that watching the breakup Monday night was necessary to explain what happened. Even Becca said the segment helped her "find closure."
- Social media, however, became angered at the exploitive nature of the show, as ABC spent 40 minutes lingering on Becca’s misery.
- More than 6,000 dollars has been given to Becca via her Venmo account for wine and retail therapy. She will donate those funds to Stand Up 2 Cancer. The Bachelorproduction company promised to match Becca’s donation.
- Becca accepted Arie’s apology and said she’s forgiven him.
- The first guy to meet Becca as the Bachelorette, Lincoln in the bowtie, said in his British accent, (quote) “Speaking for many of us here tonight, Arie is a wanker.”
- American Idol starts next week. After its conclusion, The Bachelorette begins May 28th.